I made it through my first day as a substitute teacher!

It wasn’t nearly as bad as I had thought it would be.  I do kind of like to go into situations with a doomsday approach sometimes though because then I’m almost always pleasantly surprised.  I mean, if I convince myself that something’s going to be the worst.job.ever then my expectations are so low that I almost have to be happy with the reality of how it turns out!

Last night was terrible though.  I’ve been off from work for a couple of months now since the school year ended in June, which means my average wake-up time in the mornings has been around 9:30am.  Pretty great.  Not so great for trying to go to sleep early though when it actually comes time to go back to work.

So last night I went to bed at a decent time, and I think I actually fell asleep before midnight which is pretty impressive.  Then around 3am I was woken up by Bryan.

He couldn’t sleep.  That never happens.  Don’t know what was going on with him.  He didn’t wake me up on purpose, but when Bryan isn’t sleeping, he’s moving.  He can’t help it.  I think it’s probably his ADD.  But when he’s lying awake in bed, he moves (shifts positions, moves a foot, arm, whatever) approximately every 25 seconds.  Plus he has bad allergies so he sniffs a lot.  He sniffs probably once every 45 seconds.  And I apparently am a fairly light sleeper now (as opposed to when I was in high school and college), and so all of Bryan’s constant moving and shifting woke me up.  And then I could NOT fall back asleep because every time I started drifting off, he’d move again, or sniff again, or both!  This went on until about 4:30am.

Finally at 4:30am Bryan fell asleep.  You know how I knew he was asleep?  Because he immediately started snoring.  Yep.  Awesome.  I was pretty annoyed.  Eventually, some how, I did get back to sleep, and probably got at least another hour before my alarm went off at 6:15am.

Today I am tired.  It’s 4:47pm right this minute, and I feel like going to bed.

Oh, but anyway, back to the sub job!  I arrived, and found out that the schedule for my day basically was broken down like this:

7:35 am Arrive at school

7:50 am – 8:10 am morning duty in the cafeteria to keep the peace and make sure plates are stacked

8:15 – 9:15 am Planning Period!  AKA free time for me to do whatever I want

9:15 – 10:00 am Basic Typing Skills Class (6th graders)

10:05 – 10:50 am Basic Typing Skills Class (6th graders)

10:55 – 11:15 am Lunch (I ate a snack because 20 minutes isn’t long enough for lunch)

11:15 – 12:00 pm  Basic Typing Skills Class (8th graders)

12:05 – 12:50 pm Planning Period!  (There used to be a class here but it got moved to another teacher)

12:50 – 1:20 pm Planning Period! (so during my double planning periods is when I ate my lunch)

1:25 – 2:10 pm Computer Class (7th graders)

2:15 – 3:00 pm Computer Class (7th graders)

The first 3 classes were the same lesson plan – they practiced typing on their computers.  That was it.  The last 2 classes had the same lesson plan – they read a chapter in a book and typed out the answers.  That was is.

The first and last classes of the day were AWESOME.  The kids were SO well behaved, SO polite, SO QUIET!  Wow.  The other classes were much noisier.  The second to last class of the day – the 7th graders – were the worst.  There were some boys in that class driving me crazy.  Disrepectful, rude, obnoxious, attention-seeking, lazy… uuugh.  And the 8th graders were LOUD but well behaved.

Quite a few sweet children actually said “thank you” to me as they left the room after class!  Really?!  I don’t remember ever thanking substitute teachers for being there when I was in school.  Pretty impressive.  I was so caught off guard I didn’t know what to say.  I guess I should just say “you’re welcome.”

So I’m going back there tomorrow, and then who knows were I’ll be next week!  This is kind of an adventure after all.  Now that I’m in it, I realize that it’s like my friend Melissa said – gives me a great appreciation that I’m NOT the regular classroom teacher, and I get to leave at the end of the day!

But my unusually pleasant experience at a middle school was a surprise for me.  I’m just hoping to get some more sleep tonight.